[Dailydrool] Fire Alarms

Nancy Candray speedsterbasset at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 6 10:38:24 PST 2018

The DH works nights. I am in charge of putting everyone to bed at night and making sure that everything is locked up and secure.

Last night I did my last check on the boys who sleep in the kitchen and went off to bed at 10:30. At 11 I heard the low whine of Duncan. Rambo was already in a frenzy prancing around. My first thought was that we had an intruder because I forgot to check the locks. I turned the corner into the kitchen and saw a bright red sky. Confused I ran out to check what was going on. The house behind us was on fire. Full blown ablaze. As I was gathering my thoughts on what to do first, who to call, and what to pack, when the police knocked the front door and said to evacuate. They were afraid the trees would catch the flames and jump to our house.

This of course double the urgency to get out. I had to gather leashes, pack up the baby’s food,  get the girls and the boys in the car, decide what was essential to take and/or leave behind, and decide where to go. By the time I was ready 45 minutes had passed. I was loading up the boys in the car when the police comes back and says the fire is out, they are just punching holes in the roof to make sure the fire died but we can go back in.

Moral of the story: Have a emergency plan - have emergency supplies ready to go and in a designated area and always ALWAYS listen to your bassets whine.

Nancy with Duncan and Rambo the Shar Pei
speedsterbasset at yahoo.com