[Dailydrool] Can bassets really be trained?

Kimlynne Slagel kislagel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 13:33:15 PST 2018

Aloha  Droolers,

  Like so many that have chimed in as of late, I too, am mostly a lurker
with little to say but enjoy lots to read.  Please keep the DD coming I
need affirmation that my dear basset is not alone in her unusual behavior.

   I had the good fortune of acquiring a 12-week old female from
Australia.  Though her breeder started "training" her at 8 weeks, I just
recently enrolled in Puppy School at 4 months old.  Weʻve had a month of
classes and "Hobs" can sit on command (most of the time) I canʻt say obeys
any other commands except "Play Time".

   To be honest, Iʻm okay with that but Iʻm getting "raised eyebrows" from
the teacher.  She admits she has never had a basset in any of her classes
over the 30+ years of training.  Could there be a reason?  Hobs plays well
with other dogs.  In fact, half of my day is centered around arranging play
dates for Hobs.  Iʻm more of an Au Pair than a mom.  Momʻs seem to have
more authority over the lives of their children.  Au pairs are like me.  I
am here to make Hobs happy.

Sincerely.

Kim
Au Pair to Hobs