[Dailydrool] Can bassets be trained?

Alice Haley dognpony at ptd.net
Sat Feb 10 08:34:25 PST 2018

Yes!  Some individuals are easier than others.

Our "Harley Puppy" was super smart. It took me just a few hours to train her
for the Canine Good Citizen (CGC) and she passed on the first attempt.
Unfortunately, she passed away at a very early age.

PW Harley Chick and Fred both were Canine Good Citizens, as well as getting
Rally Novice titles.  Harley Chick passed the Therapy Dog test, but I never
did anything with that.  Fred did go to nursing homes a number of times to
visit my late husband who would take reservations from other patients for
Fred's next visit.  These two went to rabbit hunt tests as well, had fun and
a few ribbons.

That leaves Molly and Pippi.  Molly walks very well on a leash, Pippi goes
left, right, left, right.  They both will sit on command, especially if food
is involved and they both will stay, again if food is involved.  Other than
that they are pretty much tone deaf.

The Jersey Girls

Alice, the human
Molly & Pippi