[Dailydrool] Cysts--Better Late Than Never

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 05:01:56 PST 2018

Browyn the Fairy Princess and Beauford are both terrible about getting
cysts of every kind. They have had hugish ones that have to be removed.
They have had ones that exploded So, I guess my decision not to breed them
was an excellent one.

Because I am trying to reduce how many times they need to go under the
knife, and I am proficient with both syringe needles and scalpels, I will
drain cysts that are very tight and in danger of exploding into a huge
mess. I wouldn't recommend doing either if you don't know what you are
doing. A syringe to drain fluid is obviously safer than having to use a
scalpel to remove thick pus. I have only resorted to a scalpel on one of my
dogs once. I told all of you about it. Amazingly, the cyst is now just a
knot and the cyst above it is a 1/4 of its former size, making me think
that somewhere they are connected. I have been draining fluid off of two of
Browyn's cysts. The one on her side has miraculously finally quit expanding
to where I feel the need to drain it. It is no longer hard and tight. The
one on her leg still needs draining every two weeks.

Meanwhile, here is what I do when one explodes: Cut all the hair back. This
has become so often I now have a palm size shaver I use just on the dogs.
Then if there is a lot of gross crusts I use the hydrogen peroxide one time
only. If it isn't all crusty, I skip that step and go to the second step
which is chlorhexadine. This stuff is fantastic like Angelika said. I use
it 2-3x a day. If I can leave it open f to get air, I do. Sometimes the dog
either won't leave it alone or it is draining very heavily. In those cases
I use gauze and vet wrap or a t-shirt depending on location. If after a day
or two the site is very red and puffy, go get antibiotics from the vet.

Today is Pro-Heart day at our house. So everyone is going in to the vet.
Beauford has 6 cysts to have checked, Browyn has 4 and Bugsey has none, but
he is being tested for some diseases that might be mimicing an autoimmune
disorder.

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn the Fairy Princess