[Dailydrool] Nasty pills for Edgar

Pamela McQuade plmcquade at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 16:28:18 PST 2018

Our Belvedere, who came to us many years ago, had to take nasty
prednisolone. It is very bitter, as the mama knows, since she was on it for
a short time. We tried everything, and Bel got so he would not take
anything--cheese, any kind of meat, and so on--once he tasted the
bitterness on anything, he would never touch it. When that happens, the mom
will pill a dog like a cat. It is not the most pleasant way; you open the
mouth, throw the pill in the back of the mouth, and close the mouth. Then
you rub the throat to make the animal swallow.

The dog probably will not like this. But if you only have to use it for a
short time, you may get away with it. Of course, if you have a dog who will
bite, this is not an option.

I'm afraid I have no long-term method for dealing with this.
Pam, long-time piller to the Dashing Bassets