[Dailydrool] Dexter

LOIS LEMA lemalois at verizon.net
Sun Jan 28 14:17:52 PST 2018

my dexter has been a therapy dog now for just over 1 year.  he is registered with the alliance of therapy dogs (ATD).  we visit a local hospital, & a sr home  regularly.  he has also visited college dorms and a sr center too.  he is a natural at it.  the boy is scary good , sensing things i can not.  during one of our visits, he climbed up on a patients bed (he knows he is only allowed paws only) and slid right up against the patient, a woman who was what i would call in a coma.  he then rested his head against her crossed arms and brethed deeply and noisy.  his body was pressed firmly against hers.  she begain crying silently.(she did not appear to be in pain)   i was trying to get him off the bed and dexter who is very obedient did not budge.  finally he gave a few more sighs and slid off the bed.  the air felt charged.  it was as if something special had occurred.
on another visit we were in a room with a hospice patient.  i had him sit in a chair next to the patient's bed.  we placed his hand next to dexter's ear.  the man began stroking his ear.  he continued stroking it until he fell into a deep sleep, something that he had not done for the previous few days.  dexter meanwhile sat in the chair vigorously wagging this tail.
he walks thru the hospital and staff come out of offices to visit with him, children play with him, some staff offer him his favorite treat of sliced apples.  now the entire hospital knows him and says hi.  he donned an ugly sweater for the ugly sweater contest and was dressed as a moose for halloween.
at the sr home the patients adore him.  they keep track of him..reminding me if he looks like he is gaining weight, losing weight, nails look long, etc.  i starteed a program where some of them "walk" him in the hallways and brush him...so everyone gets involved.  they are our family and he is their family.
he loves doing the therapy work.  i do as well.  it is amazing to see him do his job and how much of a difference it makes.  best thing i ever did!
lois lema & dexter