[Dailydrool] DNA tests

Susan lily5943 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 09:11:08 PST 2018

I received DNA tests for the dogs for my birthday. I was so excited, as I had been wanting to do it since I first heard about it.   Noodle looks like a full basset, but Beau is obviously mixed.   He's so handsome, but I couldn't really see another breed.

Turns out that Noodle is 100% basset hound.  Beau is 50% basset, 25% Australian shepherd, and 25% a mixture of four different groups ( they tell you which groups but I can't recall). Chance, our shepherd mix, is 50% miniature Australian shepherd, 12.5% German shepherd, 12.5% Great Pyrenees, and 25% a mixture from the guard dog group.   He looks like a GSD, and his tail was docked when we found him, so I've always suspected GSD and Aussie. But Great P was a huge surprise!  No fluffy white on him at all.

Anyway, it was very fun to see their family trees, which go back three generations to great-great grandparents. Of course, the algorithm just gives you the most likely scenario for that genetic profile, but it's as close as we can get without a time machine!

We used the Wisdom Panel brand. You log on to register the kit, then mail in the cheek swabs. An email tells you when the results are ready.  It was easy to use and results were provided quickly.  I printed our results out.  Mom also got ones for us humans, but those results aren't in yet. Anyway, I'm sort of a science geek and thought some of y'all might find this interesting.

xoxo to all in need!

Susan
With Beau, Noodle & Chance
And Sophie, Jolie & Gracie Girl ATB