[Dailydrool] Reggie/new basset puppy

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 18:22:42 PST 2018

Poor Reggie! The pain from a ruptured disc is terrible (I know from
personal experience and I assume that our hounds feel pain like we do).
When Shadow hurt her back, we had x-rays done at our vet's office and
followed his directions with the meds and keeping her quiet but headed for
the vet school when she lost the use of her back legs. The MRI showed a
rupture and severe degenerative disc disease which the x-ray wasn't able to
show. They wouldn't guarantee that she'd regain use of her legs with the
surgery but we went forward with it and have been one of the lucky ones
where she regained most of the use of her legs. She's a little wobbly here
and there and we don't go for long walks but she's done very well over the
past three years since she had the surgery. It's heartbreaking to see a
beloved four legger be in that kind of pain. I hope Reggie improves very
soon.

Our neighbor has a new basset hound puppy that they got from someone who
brought her home at ten weeks and then realized that they couldn't handle
the needs of a puppy. She was about 14 weeks old when we met her and has
already started educating the family about what bassets are all about. In
typical basset hound fashion, she is not being easy about house training
but she's too cute to get mad at. I don't know if I was very reassuring
when I told them that hounds are pretty stubborn and it's not unusual for
them to be at least six months old or older before you can really call them
house trained (Toby was about nine months old before he really got it). We
were lucky with most of our foster hounds I guess. We certainly had
accidents but most of our fosters were older and would just follow the
leader and do their business when our Houndettes did their's. We hadn't had
a puppy in over forty years when Toby came to us and we had forgotten
anything we ever knew about puppies and that basset hound puppies can be a
challenge sometimes. I think this sweet puppy that we met is in a good
place but they know that we'll take her if they decide they aren't up for
the challenge.

Healing drool to all in need.

Jane, Toby & the Houndettes
Shadow, Suzy & Ginger