[Dailydrool] Rooney

Kara Carpenter frknhippie at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 12 06:34:24 PDT 2018

Rooney bloated last night...he is not out of the woods yet but the worst is behind him.  He began whining and barking around 11pm (which is very unlike him) and I dragged out of bed to see what his problem was to find he looked like he swallowed a bowling ball.  He's a small dude, around 40 lbs, and I couldn't believe the size of his belly, which was normal at 8pm.  We raced to the ER vet which is 30 mins away and they immediately took him back, gave him pain reliever and released some air from his belly.  The x-ray showed full GDV, stomach twisted on both ends, so they immediately began pre-op bloodwork.  Surgery began around 1am and I got the call about 5:15 that surgery was successful, no complications, and he was coming out of the anesthesia fine.  He's 12 and on seizure meds so not very active, ate his usual meal, etc.  No clue as to what would have triggered it unless perhaps he had a seizure unbeknownst to me.  Or maybe it was just one of those random things.  They found no masses other than a cyst on a kidney, which I suppose will have to be looked at eventually.  Right now I am just thankful he vocalized something was wrong and I was home to take him to the ER.  Hug and kiss your hounds extra tight for us as this story could have had a very different ending <3
Drool,Kara, Rooney&Fitzy