[Dailydrool] nail problem

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 06:53:09 PDT 2018

I am also too well versed in nail issues. First of all, if it is still
bleeding and hopefully at this point it isn't, use quick stop or flour to
stop the bleeding. You can also use direct pressure with a gauze pad,
kleenex, or paper towel. If that doesn't work, you need to go to the vet
and get it cauterized.

I was lucky and both Elwood ATB and Blitzen ATB left their nails alone, but
they got infected and both needed oral antibiotics. If the skin at the edge
of the nail is red and inflamed, you need oral antibiotics.

Elwood came to me with an infected nail from rescue when I adopted him. His
previous owners had his nails cut at the vet when he had his annual whether
they needed it or not! His nail got caught on his foster's deck and ripped
terribly. She couldn't get the bleeding stopped and he had to have it
cauterized. Then the poor boy needed three rounds of antibiotics to clear
it up. Two the rescue covered, but I did the last one.

Blitzen managed to catch her dewclaw in one of two screw heads in the deck
on Saturday of Memorial Weekend. The DH was in Germany for work. Blitzen
was mad because I wanted her to quit playing frisbee so I could stop the
bleeding. Elwood was mad because I injured HIS baby! He stood and barked at
me the whole time I am trying to calm Blitzen down so I could stop the
bleeding. Then I treated with iodine. I wrapped it in vet wrap just so it
wouldn't get caught on anything. Elwood laid with her and stared at me the
rest of the weekend.

All households with dogs should have vet wrap! At last check I had 2 rolls
of 4 inch and 3 rolls of 2 inch. It is also handy for the people in the
house who are klutzes.

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn the Evil Fairie