[Dailydrool] Cooper

Carol Yokum racetrcker at aol.com
Tue Jun 5 16:37:00 PDT 2018

Cooper is recovering nicely from his splenectomy but we got his biopsy results and they couldn't be worse.   He has a very aggressive type of cancer, really fast growing with a lot of immature diving cells (not even sure what that means or even if that's what she said).    The vet from the emergency hospital where he had the surgery called me with the results.   I was so sure he was going to be OK that I'm not even sure of all she told me.   But he has an appointment with his regular vet on Friday and they are sending his records over to him so I can ask him any questions.

She mentioned that if we were going to choose to do chemo, that now would be the time to start.   I said that we had already discussed this and had decided not to put him through it since he is now 10 years old and she said she thinks that was a wise decision since chemo doesn't work that well for whatever type of cancer it is that he has.    When i take him in Friday his dad wants me to ask the vet if chemo would work at all for him - can he tell if is has spread to other organs already like the emergency doctor said it was likely to.

We, of course, are devastated by this news.   We have only had him three years - in fact, today is the third anniversary of the day we took him in as a foster.   Of course we were foster failures and adopted him on June 13th, just over one week later.

This morning we went to the park for a 5 minute walk - he was so happy go be there and wanted to stay longer but the vet told me that's all he should do the first day.   He has been really tired since we got home and it's almost dinner time.   But we want him to have the best time he can and do what he wants to do until he tells us that it's time to leave for the Bridge and meet the six bassets that preceded him in our lives.

Does anyone have any ideas about the chemo?    It really sounded to me like it wouldn't help but we don't want to not do something that would give him more quality time.

I did appreciate all the ideas about the t-shirts after surgery and he just took his off today.   I think he was embarrassed to wear it but he never even tried to bite or scratch at the incision.   So thank you everyone who wrote with advice and encouragement.

Carol