[Dailydrool] Gracie checking in

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 22 11:42:15 PDT 2018

Hi it’s Gracie
We have a hummingbird feeder too.  First off....public service announcement ..... if you have one too fill it with 1/4 cup sugar 1 cup water boiled and cooled.  Do not use the red stuff, it’s killing hummingbirds.
As I was saying we have one hung just outside the sliding door and the hummingbirds are very territorial.  It belongs to a pair who live in the grapefruit tree and they dive bomb interlopers. It’s amusing to watch the interlopers execute fairly elaborate plans to drawn the owners off and sneak a meal.  They work in teams to do this.  Sometimes they catch the owners off guard and streak in for a quick sip before they are chased off
The hummingbirds only bother bassets and people if their feeder is empty then they straiff us and dive bomb us and buzz us and it isn’t safe to go outside until their feeder is refilled.
More later from Gracie who has a backyard full of hummingbirds but only 2 allowed to use the feeder, the rest have to sneak.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone