[Dailydrool] Boe has gone to the Bridge

Susan Tonjes sdtonjes at comcast.net
Sat Mar 3 13:13:39 PST 2018

Yesterday was a very sad day for our family as we had to say our final goodbye to our dear Boe. He was diagnosed with cutaneous hemangiosarcoma almost a year and half ago, underwent several surgeries, the last in November. About a month ago he started having some problems and two weeks ago, his oncologist said we'd probably have about 2-3 months. Surgery and chemo were not options. His health declined very quickly and we decided it was time. He was somewhere around 8 years old

Just after we arrived at the vet's office yesterday, we saw a rainbow outside. That was a sign to us that it was his time to go to the Rainbow Bridge and that Blue, Jonesy and our daughter's dog Molly would be waiting there for him.

We only had Boe in our lives for a little over 5-1/2 years. He was picked up as a stray twice in the Modesto, CA area. The first time his owner picked him up, the second time, the owner never returned the shelter's phone call. We think he suffered some abuse as he really didn't like to be petted behind his shoulders for a long time and it took some time for him to trust us with belly rubs. When Alexis came into the shelter, she was such a nervous dog, that they put her in the same kennel as Boe because he was such a calm, laid-back hound. And so when they were pulled by Golden Gate Basset Rescue, GGBR knew they needed to be adopted together. That was just fine with us.

Boe was our watch dog. He would lay at the back corner of the house on the patio where he could see both the back and side yards. He really enjoyed the five months we spent in Colorado with Leslie & family as they had a 2-1/2 acre backyard. There were often cattle, jackrabbits, antelope and coyotes on the other side of the fence as well as two fields over there was a horse. Boe just in awe of that horse. He honed his watchdog skills with Molly. Both he and Alexis lost weight from all that exercise. He was also very food-oriented so this past week was really a challenge when he wouldn't even accept treats.

>From the time we got him, Boe was my dog. If I left the room, he followed me. If I was in the den working on the computer, he laid on the floor either next to me or in the doorway. Often after dinner, he wouldn't settle down for the evening until I sat down in my easy chair.

We're sure going to miss this big old boy. But, Boe, we'll never forget you and we'll always love you.