[Dailydrool] Isabella ATB

Sherrilyn - sherrilyn1 at hotmail.com
Fri May 25 17:15:13 PDT 2018

Yesterday, May 24, I had to send my Isabella to the Bridge. An alumna of Daphneyland, Isabella was transported and fostered by Auntie Suz Green, who lived in San Antonio at the time, until I drove through in July 2009 en route to Mexico. Isabella was the softest, sweetest dog ever. Dumb as a box of rocks, but always extremely good-natured.

Isabella loved to bark. She was known as the 'fun police' in our neighborhood in Mexico because she barked and barked while the other dogs played. Here in MD, Isabella took her Homeland Security duties very seriously, employing her monotone barkbarkbark at every cat, dog, and human who passed our house. Her favorite target was Charlie the Mailman, whose every step was announced as he walked his route down the other side of the street and then back up our side.

Isabella was diagnosed on April 4 with an aggressive oral melanoma. A mass was removed from her mouth then, but another popped up just a few weeks later. Over the past two weeks, she declined quickly. I noticed a dramatic change every day this week. I had made an appointment with a vet from Lap of Love--a company that provides veterinary hospice and end-of-life care--to discuss hospice care. However, by the time the appointment rolled around, Isabella made it clear that she was ready to move on. Exactly two weeks after our dear friend, Marie Radebaugh, passed away, Isabella made her way over the Rainbow Bridge. I like to think that Marie welcomed Isabella and introduced her to all her OEBE friends already there.

Lap of Love has locations across the country, and I cannot recommend them highly enough. The kind, compassionate care that we all received made this difficult time a little easier. Lap of Love provides in-home euthanasia. The vet explained everything calmly and thoroughly and gave us all the time we needed, both before and after the final injection. Lola was able to sniff Isabella's body before she was taken away, which I think was very helpful. And I appreciated being able to do this at home, which was easier on Isabella and on me because I didn't have to get in my car afterward and drive in an overly emotional state.

Lola, the other half of the OEBE Mexican (now Maryland) Mavens of Mayhem, and I are figuring out the new dynamics in our household. As annoying as Isabella's bark was, the house seems awfully quiet without her.

Sherrilyn