[Dailydrool] A weekend of puke, poop, and pee

Elizabeth linktolindsey at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 04:09:25 PDT 2018

Last weekend Charlie, the Wee One, and I collectively experienced puke, poop, and pee in a twenty-four hour period. I was up all last Friday night ridding my system of the black bean soup that I, while eating it earlier for dinner, hadn’t realized had gone bad. A few hours before dawn, when I was able to leave the bathroom, I took the Wee One outside for a quick potty break. She peed. No apparent need to poop. Nope, she was sure she was done. Positive. When I got back inside, I completely forgot to puppy-gate her back in the bathroom where her bed was; all I could think of was climbing into bed. So I did.

A few minutes after I closed my eyes, I smelled something stomach turning, which wasn’t a smell I really needed to smell at that moment. The Wee One had surreptitiously had a bout of diarrhea all over the area rug at the foot of my bed. Who knew a seven-pound Chihuahua mix could have so much in her bowels? This little dog can’t shut up about leaves falling outside or the sound of dust motes landing on the coffee table—Yap! Yap! Yap!—but she’s silent as the grave when it comes to letting anyone know when she really, really needs to go outside. It is a serious character flaw I’d like her to work on correcting.

I immediately booted her into the bathroom, and there I was cleaning doggy diarrhea off the rug at 5am and urging my restless stomach back into place again while I was doing it. Ten hours later, while walking barefoot through the front entry, I stepped in a puddle. When I left the house a few hours earlier to go pick up the Wee One’s anti-diarrheal prescription from the vet, I’d encouraged young Charlie to go outside first. He refused. He didn’t have to go. He was fine. But apparently he misjudged. That’s how he wound up doing a walking pee from the front entry to the living room, blessedly running dry before he reached the rug in there. Of course, my first thought was of UTIs, but he hasn’t done this since.

I put all three of us on the veterinary-prescribed bland diet of boiled chicken and rice, two out of necessity and one to forestall sulking, and as of yesterday morning, the last of us was back on the right track again (the Wee One finally had a decent-looking poop). I’m hoping for a much better coming weekend. And in case anyone could benefit from this information, you probably shouldn’t eat six-day-old black bean soup. Now I know . . . and won’t do it again.

Elizabeth