[Dailydrool] Skunks and Bassets

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 03:46:29 PDT 2018

Our recent re-acquaintanceship with the World Of Nature has taught me more
than I wanted to know about skunk spray and dealing with the smell on dogs
(and in the house.) The entrance to the yard is now blocked. I still go out
ahead of the dogs with a flashlight and walk around the yard making noise
(I remind myself of the Rangers walking trails yelling "Hey Bears!")
The commercial Skunk-Off (I have to say this: we used it for years at the
clinic and I hope they have changed) works only in that your dog will smell
like Spearmint gum for about 4 weeks, and like skunk whenever it is humid.
The solution I used this time--probably I am the last human to know this--
really worked very very well, and Merta Lou actually smells better than she
has for awhile, even before the skunk.
It is:
1 quart of hydrogen peroxide
1/4 C baking soda
1 Tsp liquid dishwashing soap (I used Dawn it was what I had)
So the dogs smell ok and gradually the house is smelling better. I hope
everyone reads this and is wiser than I was and less complacent: if you see
skunks in your yard check THOROUGHLY before you let the dogs out after
dark--or anytime I guess.

MomPerson to Little Miss Stinky Merta Lou and Doc (Who barely got hit)