[Dailydrool] pain and medication

Jacquelynn Chazey jchazey at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 06:28:36 PDT 2018

First, Becky, so sorry you are traveling this journey with Morse, but your
love is strong and he feels it.

My Pierre jr. had devastating, similar cancer as well.  His onset was when
he was five.  It took two plus years before he was gone, still way too
young.

At that time I was still herding a lot of bassets and Mom home in hospice,
and I already forget what medicine Jr. took, except his liver supplements,
but  I do imagine he was on pain medicine as well. He never had panting
issues.

I will say my only and current hound, Nikki, has pain issues due to extreme
arthritis and she takes tramadol and gabapentin  3x a day.  On the rare
occasion, her pain really blows up, she is allowed vetprofen as well, but
since she has a compromised liver, it is better to not use that drug if I
can help it.

Nikki pants a lot.  Has been doing it for at least the last two to three
years.  Next vet visit, I will discuss it with him, but she is overweight,
and she has a heart murmur.  She has been cleared from further heart
testing because the murmur is stable.  She has a random cough as well,
similar to the coughs Jean Paul and Nigel had, but near the end, Nigel's
cough went away.

Nikki and I are both on a diet.  I cannot eat because she wants my food all
the time.  She grew up with Mom at home, dementia, and she shared all meals
with Mom, eating right off her plate and thinking what a jackpot home.  She
is a BHRA rescue, came here at 4 months.  She will be 12 soon.

Healing drool to all in need,

Jackie and Little Nikki