[Dailydrool] Itchies

Michael Meckler meckler.12 at osu.edu
Tue Apr 16 13:29:11 PDT 2019

I used to use generic Benadryl liquid for kids with my hounds, but my
vet suggested generic Zyrtec was a better choice, and it has been:
greater reduction in allergic symptoms without drowsiness side effects.

My vet provides patients with a xerox with information about Benadryl,
Zyrtec and Claritin for use in dogs (and cats), and I reproduce parts of
it (most relevant to Basset Hounds) below:

-----
*DIphenhydramine (Benadryl)*
Available in: 12.5 mg children's tablets, 25 mg capsules, and 12.5 mg/5
ml liquid (liquid not recommended if it contains alcohol)

Dosage:
DOG WEIGHT IN POUNDS                    DOSE (TABLET = 12.5 mg, CAPSULE
= 25 mg)

15-35 pounds                                        1 capsule 2-3 times
daily
35-50 pounds                                        1 or 2 capsules 2-3
times daily
50-80 pounds                                        2 or 3 capsules 2-3
times daily
Over 80 pounds                                    3 or 4 capsules 2-3
times daily

CATS: NOT RECOMMENDED

May cause: sedation, hyperactivity, diarrhea (rare), vomiting (rare) or
loss of apetite (rare). DISCUSS WITH YOUR VETERINARIAN IF YOUR PET HAS:
glaucoma, GI or urinary obstruction, COPD, hyperthyroidism, seizure
disorders, heart disease or high blood pressure

DO NOT USE DIPHENHYDRAMINE PRODUCTS THAT CONTAIN ANY OTHER ACTIVE
INGREDIENTS (like acetominophen). These other products are potentially
toxic to your pet (especially cats).
-----
*Cetirizine (Zyrtec)*
This may be the best antihistamine for eosinophilic inflammation (one of
the primary cell types associated with allergies).
Available in: 5 mg and 10 mg tablets

Dosage:
DOG WEIGHT IN POUNDS                    DOSE

15-39 pounds                                         5 mg twice daily,
or 10 mg once daily
Over 40 pounds                                      10 mg twice daily

CATS: 5 mg tablet: 1/2 tablet to 1 tablet, 1 or 2 times daily

May cause: Hyperexcitability in dogs. NOTE: Twice daily dosing is often
needed.
-----
*Loratadine (Claritin)*
Available in: 5 mg and 10 mg tablets

Dosage:
DOG WEIGHT IN POUNDS                        DOSE

15-39 pounds                                            5 mg twice
daily, or 10 mg once daily
Over 40 pounds                                        10 mg twice daily

CATS: 5 mg tablet: 1/2 tablet to 1 tablet, 1 or 2 times daily
-----

Now, I buy generic Cetirizine (Zyrtec) in the 10 mg tablet, in a package
that contains 365 tablets, and it costs me under $20 (around 5 cents a
pill). I give it twice daily, to dogs that are in the 60-pound range,
and it appears to control symptoms without side effects. So I have found
this to be a very cost-effective option for treating seasonal allergies
in Basset Hounds.