[Dailydrool] September $5 Friday

Donna Lindy dlindy at mac.com
Fri Aug 30 11:30:20 PDT 2019

Where did the summer go??  Next Friday is September $5 Friday for Debbies Dawgs. Our rescue is Carolina BHR, who was our very first $5 Friday when we started Debbies Dawgs!.

Here’s bios on 2 of their seniors - if you’re not on Facebook, you don’t get to hear their stories so I thought I’d share a couple.

Clementine came to CBHR because she was attacked by other dogs in the animal shelter and received severe  trauma to her head, neck, face, and eye; she even had bruised lungs from the attack. She was so traumatized, scared, and in pain. Thankfully, CBHR was able to step in and get her into the program immediately. Not only was Clementine injured from the attack, but she also had a substantial ear infection and intestinal parasites. This poor girl was a mess and it took a lot of veterinary care to get her righted. She’s still a bit of a timid and unsure girl (who wouldn’t be after being attacked), but foster dad said as long as her humans are nearby telling her she’s doing a good job, she does well. Clementine had a lot of expenses from the dog attack and is currently taking supplements to help with her stress and anxiety. She is 10 now and will likely need these for life.

Ginger, age 12, came to CBHR scared and confused. She spent six days alone in the house with her deceased owner’s body until someone found them and another three days by herself until they could get her to come out.  The family didn’t want her and took her to a shelter. Traumatized, she was aggressive, growling, snarling and showing teeth. Within a couple of days of arriving at her foster home, she began showing trust in her foster family. Ginger is epileptic and on medication. She has been treated for bronchitis and had a dental to remove several teeth. The shelter called her “morbidly obese.” She has been losing weight at a steady pace. Foster dad reports “Ginger is doing fabulous. Since her dental her personality has really come out. She is a sweet, loving girl and a Velcro Hound.”

Carolina BHR has approximately 23 seniors in their care.  These two sweet girls are just two examples of what this rescue gets in the way of seniors and what they do to get them well.  I know it is unthinkable to everyone on this list that people would dump their older dog at a shelter or just put them out of their car and drive away.  But it happens.  Most basset rescues don’t let a senior stay in a shelter for one minute longer than they have to, even though those seniors are going to cost them some big bucks.

Thankfully Debbies Dawgs has gone from raising $1200 a month (our first $5 Friday) to as much as $4000 a month  which is a huge help to a rescue.   We created $5 Fridays so anyone could participate so if $5 is all you can spare, please consider donating to $5 Friday. I promise you it is wonderful to be a part of something big that makes a difference for a senior or two that have been just miserable  and on their way to a better life.  We can’t always be the rescuer, we may not be able to transport or foster but it’s not very hard to donate a few dollars to a cause dear to your heart.

Donations for $5 Friday are accepted now through Sunday, Sept. 8th.  Paypal to debbiesdawgs at icloud.com. (please use the friend option - watch closely after you fill in the dollar amount; Paypal can be tricky!) or send a check made out to Debbie’s Dawgs to 177 Mountain Vista Blvd. Canton GA. 30115. Debbie’s Dawgs is a 501c3 charity.

Last month we raised $4450.62 for Utah Friends of Basset Hounds. We would LOVE to do this again so please forego that latte or expensive coffee for one day and give it to a senior in need.  It will be the best $5 or $10 or $25 or more you ever spent.

Thanks for reading,

Donna, drool fueler for Maggie and YaYa