[Dailydrool] Cooper

Carol Yokum racetrcker at aol.com
Fri Feb 15 17:47:30 PST 2019

I don't post often but do read every daily drool that I get.   You might remember that last Memorial Day weekend I posted that Cooper had to have his spleen removed and after the biopsy was diagnosed with the worst kind of cancer and was given a prognosis of a couple of months.   We decided to take him to the University of CA at Davis and they thought that he was a good candidate for chemotherapy.   The first kind they tried gave him heart atthythmia so the next time they tried a different kind and I don't even remember what was wrong with that.   But the third kind, a fairly new one, worked for him and he had his last infusion treatment in October.   In December he had a checkup and no trace of cancer was found,   He also had another cardiac consultation in December and they put a 24 hour heart monitor on him to see how the arrhytmia was and saw no trace of it so said to take him off the Solatol which was treating it.   He had another 24-hour heart monitor the beginning of February to see if he was OK without the medication and we expected to hear the results the end of the month or beginning of March.
We had not boarded him since his spleen removal surgery and this past weekend we did so his dad and I go go on a short trip to celebrate our birthdays.   We were gone for a couple of days when the kennel called and said he wasn't doing well and needed to be brought to the vet.  They were leaving with him and asked me to call his vet and say they had my permission to bring him in which I did of course.  The vet called a little while later and that that he had stomach torsion, was very cold and was very weak, too weak to survive surgery, and was in distress.   So we had to make the decision to send him to the bridge.
This was so unfair - he beat cancer and then bloat got him.   He was doing so well and having such a good life.   We feel so bad that we weren't there for him when he needed us the most.   The kennel assured me that this was caught right away and he was at the vet right away and that nothing would have been different had we been there and the vet confirmed this but we still are so upset that we weren't there for him.
He was such a good boy.   We got him from Basset Hound Rescue of Southern California in June, 2015 so only got to have him in our family for about three and a half years.   It was not long enough.   We miss him so much.
Carol