[Dailydrool] Rolph

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 18 23:52:59 PST 2019

Thank you all so much for your emails. It helps to know so many other people cared about my boy.
As many of you will remember, Rolph hasbeen using wheels for a good few months now – and he loved gettingout and about, sniffing and making friends – oh boy, did he knowhow to get the sympathy vote.

Inside the house things were moredifficult for him. He was an expert scooter, pulling himself alongwith his front legs across the laminate floors. Until quite recently,he even managed to haul himself up a flight of seven steps when Iwasn't looking! I really thought he was unstoppable.

However, a coupe of months ago hedeveloped CCD – doggie dementia, or “sundowners”. This lefthim crying for hours on end in the evenings. The vet put him onmedication, which seemed to help for a few weeks, but it was graduallylosing its effect.

He had been doubly incontinent for along time which bought its own challenges, especially to my washingmachine, and over the past couple of weeks his front legs had startedto fail while he was out in his cart. One evening, as he hauledhimself over to me, he looked me in the eye and I realised I was facing that awful decision. It was the hardest Ihave ever made.

The vet came to our home on Mondayafternoon and helped him slip away gently. Clara and I were with him,me stroking that beautiful fur and telling him what an amazing boy hewas, and Clara rifling the vet's bag for treats. She took no noticeof what was going on, nor came to see him when he passed.

I have been dreading this day. Thehouse is horribly quiet. My heart is horribly broken.

Sally, with Clara, UK and Rolph ATB –tell the Beagles to watch out, that boy is a kitchen clearer!