[Dailydrool] Watson

Rebecca Louisa Stanton pummorse at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 13:01:34 PDT 2019

Hello droolers.  Well, it has been just over 4 weeks now since Watson came
to live with me, and he has settled in really well.  He is a little
tinker!  I was very used to Morse's quite benign ways - he loved everyone!
- people, dogs, cats, birds, bunnies..... Watson not so!  He is wary with
some people, mainly men.  He is getting better with it, but its made me
realize just how many people go straight in to fuss dogs without asking,
and instead of waiting for a dog to come to them, they put their hand
straight over their head, which Watson definitely doesn't like!  I try to
stop people doing it if I see they are going to, and I definitely warn
anyone with children.  Watson so far seems to like children, but until I
really get to know him I think its just better to be safe.  He is hilarious
in that if he decides someone is a bit scary at first he will either growl
or absolutely bellow - he has a very baritone woof and howl, and is hugely
protective over me.  He didn't have much of an appetite when he got to me,
but that has come back.  He has a bit of a howl if I leave him.  I left the
radio on but it didn't make any difference.  I came home to very mournful
howling!  He is such a happy lad, with a loudly thumping tail, and is
massively affectionate - he tries to crawl onto my lap sometimes, and
literally throws himself at me for hugs.  He likes other dogs generally,
but is not averse to having a bit of a barney here and there.  He has
growled at a few dogs and is definitely a bit gung-ho if they are keen on
fighting - if any dogs show they want to fight he is straight back at them,
no qualms.  Morse wasn't a fighter at all bless his heart, he was a peace
maker.  We used to call him the peace ambassador.  Our first basset Pumbaa
(rescue) was also similar though with fighting, and I had to rugby tackle
him a few times to stop him leaping onto another dog (not in a playful way
either).  Watson is getting more confident when out for walks, now leaving
my side to go and play, and charges round after other dogs woofing with
frustration that he cannot always run as fast as they can!  One thing he
can do is almost be a bit nippy with other dogs when they are playing, and
I am not sure why - possibly just excited?   Anyway, I am trying to
encourage as many dog pals as possible to see how he interacts fully.  I am
hopefully meeting up with a friend who has a group of her own bassets this
weekend, so it should be interesting.  He takes off if he ever sees a cat
too.  Cat scanning. Again, not sure how friendly it is.  The rescue place
said he was okay with cats - er, not!   And he has to go on the lead on the
moors if sheep are around.  He is way too interested in them.  He had the
good sense to realize horses and cows aren't to be chased.  One horse gave
him a gentle hoof to tell him to back off.
I am still missing Mike and Morse terribly, but Watson has helped so much.
Drool to all in need
Becky and Watson, with Mike, Morse and Pumbaa ATB