[Dailydrool] Basset Heaven

BRYAN MARTINEZ brymart at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 3 10:55:58 PDT 2019

One Saturday afternoon   I was walking Tulip, my 6 year old Basset in the vacant county fairgrounds that were
adjacent to a city park.
Now, you have to understand that every basset I’ve had , had a favorite scent that drove them into
a frenzy. Susie, who preceded Tulip , became the ultimate bloodhound-chasing-a-convict bloodhound
when she got wind of a deer. In Tulip’s case, it was the smell of rabbits.
Anyway, today  there  was some activity of some sort  in the fairgrounds, with parked cars and one of the
large cattle barns was open. Before I could stop her, Tulip broke free from me and ran excitedly towards
the building.Turns out there was a huge rabbit show going on in there with row upon row upon row of caged bunnies
 of all sizes and smells. There was a wide aisle down the center  with sliding double doors open at both ends.
Tulip , barking and howling excitedly with her leash(and me) trailing after, charged
into the building ,startling all the rabbit owners and judges. (not to mention the rabbits!) She bolted down
the aisle still bellowing and ran then straight out the other side without stopping until she was out the other side.
I ran behind her as best I could, saying , over and over as I passed folks : Sorry! Sorry! Sorry!. But their broad smiles
and laughter told me they understood.
When I reached the other end of the building and went out, she was waiting for me, tail wagging and insufferably
pleased with herself. We continued our walk and she never gave another glance back to the rabbit show.
I guess she just wanted to get that out of her system.