[Dailydrool] Names and Memories

Beth Hanna bethahanna at aol.com
Wed Mar 13 08:36:45 PDT 2019

My first dog, border collie, the kids named Chewie after the Star Wars character which was popular at the time. After he died at age 15 my husband bought a golden retriever.  She was named Winnie after Winnie the Poo since she was a big honey bear of a dog.  My first basset was Sophie, name picked out before I even met her.  She came from a farm long before I knew anything about bassets, but she began the love affair with bassets.  LuLu was abandoned and a rescue and was not pure basset but made up of dog parts of basset and corgi.  She was truly a LuLu.  Back when I had Chewie, I taught him to retrieve any of my three sons by name.  My husband would tease him and tell him to go find Toby (random name-none of the kids).  And he would dutifully search to no avail.  One evening I was on the computer searching and up popped Toby from Basset Rescue of Alabama.  I figured Chewie was trying to tell me something.  And in came Toby, an older and abused gentleman.  I had him for four years and lost him to congestive heart failure.  Dora came from Spies O' Lif kennels as I am originally from Indiana and was visiting up there at the time.  Her call name was Spies O'Lif's Girl Next Door.  Dora came from Door.  She was the sweetest and best dog I have ever had. A very gentle soul. I went back to Spies O' Lif and Duncan came in.  He was Spies O' Lif's Horatio.  Too much to yell.  Duncan went with Dora pretty well and it suits him.  I lost Dora quite suddenly one afternoon and Duncan went into a blue funk.  Went back once again and I have Spies O' Lif's Noah Junior and Spies O' Lif's El Syd.  I have a grandson named Noah so that was dropped and Noah Junior just became Junior.  Nicholas (Spies O' Lif's El Syd) was supposed to arrive around Christmas (St. Nicholas) but didn't make it until spring.  But he is a very long red and white boy and needed a long name.  Nicholas fits him.  So now I have the three boys, Duncan, Nicholas, and Junior, who actually is the youngest of the three.  Love them all. Can't imagine life without a basset.

Beth Hannabethahanna at aol.com