[Dailydrool] Basset names, and applique portraits

MARY TIPPING mtipping1 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 16 00:41:08 PDT 2019

Such a fun thread, reading about the names and origins of everyone's gentlehounds.  All of our Bassets were from Tri-State Basset Hound Rescue, and all came with their names. Our first was Harley (ATB), though I never thought he looked like a "Harley" really, but then it became Harleyboom, Boomer, Booms, Boomboy, Harleymonster, Snarly Harley and Me 'Ahhhrley Boy (said with an Irish accent, of course).  Leo (ATB) I christened Leonardo Ammadeo Bassetto for some odd reason, and we often called him Schnoogalopholus, Schnoogs, LeeLee, Nardo and Roly Poly Pudding.  Biggs, still kicking at 15 years old, is "B-I-double Guh-S", Biggs von Wigglesworth, Woo, Woo Man, Fu Man Woo, Woo Man Chu, Bigg-ahroo, Wiggs, Biggalicious, shortened to just Lish.  When all three were together I'd refer to them as my Boys, which became BOYS-ee Idaho Potatoes and then the Potato Men.  Our newest addition, nine year old Otis, is Honey Bunches of Otis, Oat Man, Otis Operandi, Otisserie Chicken, and Otissimus Maximus Rex.  It tickles me how a name can morph into something so unusual and unrelated.  I have always wanted to name a Basset "Atticus", because To Kill a Mockingbird is my favorite movie.

On another note, for Daria's question about trying to find the Drooler who made her applique portrait, it could be Val Brewer in Hawaii.  Way back when, I commissioned her to create one from a photo of Harley, Biggs and Leo.  It is absolutely lovely and captures all three of them beautifully, and I will treasure it always.

Mary, Biggs, Otis and Harley and Leo (ATB)