[Dailydrool] Names

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 18:06:48 PST 2019

I'll play along with your thread, Riche. Some of the names we've had for
our dogs was such a long time ago that I don't remember how we came up with
Mazey, Barney, Roscoe, Matthew, Red Dog to name a few. Well, Red Dog was an
Irish Setter who would just show up on our door step and live with us for a
while and then disappear until the next time so he never had an official
name beyond Red Dog. Barney was the beginning of our love affair with
basset hounds. He was such a baby when he came to us that we thought he was
a basset but, once he started to mature, we discovered he was a bagel which
was just fine. And then a few of our fosters were Ace, Darcy, Angel, Tybee,
Auggie, Mandy, Sydney and a few others that I'd have to pull their
paperwork out to jog my memory. Our most recent permanent residents started
with Jersey. She got her name before she even got here because my husband
said she looked like a Jersey cow so she became Jersey. Shadow has a light
and shadow face so that was easy. Ginger came as Dulcie but I didn't like
it so she became Ginger but I don't know why. Tybee was one of our favorite
foster hounds and was with us for a long time for medical care. I couldn't
name another hound the same name but Toby is close so that's what we chose.
Suzy came as Dixie and we didn't want to keep that so she became Suzy Q.
Basset. Again, I have no idea why. It looks like we lean towards names with
a "y" on the end although Suzy, Ginger and Toby all came as youngsters and
they all thought their name was Suzyno or GingerNO! or Tobyno for a long
time. Yes, Ginger was the one that got told no the loudest and most often.
And, of course, they all have nicknames that they respond to.

Gosh, I look at all these names and remember all these dogs who have passed
through here and it's hard to believe that we had a 27 year break of no
dogs! We always had cats but we were working and the kids were growing up
so there was no time for a dog during those years. I think we're making up
for lost time now!

The hounds are slinging get well and heart healing drool to all in need.

Jane, Toby & the Houndettes
Shadow & Suzy