[Dailydrool] Beauford Update

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 03:59:12 PDT 2019

The minute I felt that thing, I wanted to cry. The first thing that popped
into my mind was an anal gland tumor. So I appreciate the drool. We still
aren't completely sure what we are dealing with, but when the vet got in
there and really went to examine it, it was about the size of his fist and
full of anal gland liquid. It came out with such force that the vet got to
wear a t-shirt for the rest of the day. We are hoping it is just an
aggressive infection. He is on antibiotics for 10 days. He goes back in 7
days to see if the swelling has gone down enough to see what is really
going on in there. He would be on NSAIDS as well, but he doesn't tolerate
them. He is currently taking temeril-p for a flair up of his allergies. It
has a bit of steroid in it, so we are helping it helps both issues.
Hopefully that isn't too much TMI. I am just praying there isn't a tumor in
there that encouraged the infection. That is why he is going back so soon.
Meanwhile, I am supposed to apply hot compresses to the area 4 times a day
for a few minutes. He is not normally good about such things, but he let me
last night. He was exhausted though. A friend sent a cleaning lady over to
help me catch up on the house work because I got behind with all that is
going on with my health. That was ultra sweet of her, but the dogs just
aren't use to having a strange woman cleaning  in the house. Then he went
to the vet. He is not fond of going strange places, much less being
violated like that.So, he was exhausted. Even Browyn the Fairy
Princess-Energizer Bunny was exhausted and just wanted to lay in a dog bed
and sleep. Meanwhile, please continue to keep your fingers crossed. The vet
is really hoping that there isn't a tumor in there causing such a build up
of fluid. I had attempted to express that anal gland the second week in
August. I say tried because it was completely empty. It usually drains
well. It is the left one that always needs expressing. The hole is way
smaller than normal and it is on top of the gland. So, it needs help on a
regular basis. I have always figured that if I am in there anyway, I might
as well check on the gland. I am so grateful I did. If it is "just" an
infection, I caught it just before it ruptured. If there is a tumor, I
caught it earlier than it would have normally. The only strange thing is
the vet says these are usually seen externally and this was not at all.
Sorry. I am rambling. Hug and kiss all your critters tonight!

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn the Fairy Princess