[Dailydrool] Hounds past and present

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 15 07:47:12 PDT 2019

We are on our second set of Personal bassets.
First were Commander Bo and his brother Harley, both hounds born in military housing and passed from family to family as each family deployed.  We were Bo’s third home and Harley’s seventh.  both had severe separation anxiety but were super loving, great with other animals and people.  Bo was quite fearful but also extremely stubborn and opinionated. Harley was exuberant.  Bo gained Drool recognition for starting the Pacific Basset Feet.
Our current hounds are Mila and Mariah.  Mila came to us as a houseguest while her military owner was out at sea with the Navy, and then eventually Mila became a full-time resident with us When it looked to her owner as if the nature of her owner’s future deployments was going to provide too unstable a home for Mila on a long term basis.  Mila is very laid back, sweet, and obedient.  Mariah is a little Daphneyland Hound with a huge personality.  Though the smallest, she is the alpha of our three dog pack which includes a mostly pit bull mix notabasset, Ipo. Mariah is very smart, (my husband says she has opposable thumbs). She is a countersurfer of great skills and an excellent hunter (catches a pigeon every other week, also rats).  Mariah and IPo have declares “no more dogs in this house” and bar the door to any but their best friends, to my displeasure since occasionally we have a foster overnight for the all breed rescue I volunteer with.
so that is our basset crew.  BefOre bassets, we had Scottish terriers (all but non existent in Hawaii).