[Dailydrool] Hettie

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 22 11:45:47 PDT 2019

Aloha Hettie,  This is Mariah.  My advice on hooking a human for good is a little different.  You can be super good and loving to endear yourself, as suggested.  it might work or it might backfire.  The human might  say “I adore this houndette so much. I just can’t let her go”, or she might say “This houndette is SO good, she’d fit in with absolutely anyone anyone so she’d be perfect to rehome”.
You could also try being so bad/needy/ornery/special needs that the human might say “I can’t rehome this doggie.  she needs so much rehabilitation before she can be placed that she has to stay with me for a long long time”. (and by that time she’ll be hooked).  but that could backfire too.  She could want you out of the house so she can breathe again.
I personally recommend a combination of both techniques—a quart of loving with a cup of mischief mixed in.  for some reason, humans find this combo irresistible in basset hounds.  I know.  Mariah of Hawaii