[Dailydrool] Biting

Mary Wilson mary.gabriola at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 15:45:22 PDT 2020

Once upon a time, Vernon Q Basset came to live at our house. Vernon Q
Basset was a bit boy -- likely I think 70 pounds when he arrived from the
shelter, though he later achieved a trim 55 pounds or thereabouts. (After
he learned about walks! news to him, though he was 8+)

On Vernon Q's first evening at home, he was sleeping on the couch (of
course). I had been away on a business trip, and got home after my husband
picked Vern up. So I'd only seen him in the shelter, where he was as far as
I can tell just barking non-stop.

I bent over him to pat him. I was talking at the time. I know I startled
him, because as soon as I made contact with his shoulder he lunged up and
made contact with my face. There was immediate blood (mine) and immediate
looks of horror (his). I really did think he'd nailed me. Closer
examination, though, proved that the bite was actually mine -- he clonked
me hard enough that a couple of my teeth connected with my lip, hence the
blood. (Easy to assign blame, since the injury was inside the mouth!)

I learned something about waking up exhausted bassets. Vernon Q, who lived
out his long life with us for another 7 years, learned what the "forever"
in "forever home" means -- at least I hope he did.

I suspect you are safe at home, Hettie.

Mary
with warm memories of Vernon Q Basset, ATB and no doubt snoring

--
Mary Wilson
(250) 325-9020