[Dailydrool] Stonewall

Douglas Paul dmp618 at swbell.net
Wed Aug 19 18:51:48 PDT 2020

For those of you that are not on Facebook, and can remember Stonewall being at K-State Vet Medical School several years ago and had his spleen removed, well today, I had to give him the gift of eternal life at the Rainbow Bridge. He  was doing well for about two years, then we could tell things were just not right with him. Many trips to the vet and $$$ for meds, we kept him stable for the past eight months. Then about a month ago, he started to lose interest in food including his daily bowl of yogurt.. I would fix boiled chicken and put it together with his regular kibble and chicken broth. That worked for a while, but I guess he got tired of chicken and refused to eat again even with squirting Entyce(appetite stimulant) down his throat (which helped for a bit), then I cooked ground beef and added green beans which he ate fairly well, but then again, he lost interest in that culinary delight. Finally, after talking to the vet, I got permission to try baby food which worked again for about two weeks and then nada. He lost weight, his energy level went down(understandably) and just lost the spunk he used to have, did not want to go for walks, or if he did, it was a very short walk.. Finally, this week after being on Prednisone daily and another appetite  stimulant with poor results, we conferred with the vet and our hearts and made to decision to release him. I stayed with him until the end telling him that we loved him  and it was ok to leave and be healthy and happy. Now I am celebrating his goofy life with a glass of wine and tears. I know that so many of you have gone through this experience and know the pain and heartbreak saying good-bye to a loved furbaby feels like, but I must confess that with all the furbabies we have had in the past, this was the first time I actually was there for the final sendoff. It was peaceful and we have a very understanding vet who was with Stonewall from day one, so it was hard for him as well. We still have his half-sister Samantha who will be 13 next month and (knock on wood) is in good health. We are not changing her routine, but giving her the love and attention she will be needed in the next few days or weeks. Thank you all for understanding and thank  you for the Drool for giving me support and laughter for so many years.Marie Paul, Newton, KS