[Dailydrool] Horton's sudden fear

Pamela McQuade plmcquade at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 06:54:51 PDT 2020

Poor Horton. Two months ago he lost his brother, Dexter.

For a long time we hadn't taken frequent walks because Dexter was too ill
to take them, my health made it a challenge to get going, and getting one
dog out of the house without the other was nearly impossible.

After we lost Dex, I committed to gettimg Horton out regularly, and I have
been able to do that. He didn't seem to want to go far, so I humored him,
figuring we needed to ease into it.

But this week I discovered that the problem is more than that. Suddenly he
will not go farther than the corner, which is not all that far away.

I believe the problem is that because there is less traffic on the road we
turn onto, the SUVs zip by in a way that scares Hortie. Before he came to
us, he had a car accident while he was escaping from adopters he did not
like. He has been afraid of traffic since we've had him, but this street
was never before a problem.

Has anyone dealt with a similar situation? Did you find anything that
worked? My heart breaks for him.
Pam, food slave to a single Dashing Basset