[Dailydrool] struvite crystals

Lisa Turnquist turnq007 at umn.edu
Tue Dec 15 13:59:36 PST 2020

I haven't posted in ages but I thought I would share this info since a
couple of people are dealing with struvite crystals and special diets with
their bassets. About 3 months ago I decided to try my basset girls on a Raw
food diet under the advice of a holistic vet in my area (metro area of MN).
My initial hope was to try and get Rae Ann's chronic anal gland issue under
control. Both bassets were on Royal Canin SO due to their history of
bladder infections and crystals.  I was  nervous about taking them off that
diet but the vet thought it was reasonable to try.  I didn't think I could
get away with feeding one on raw and the other on dry kibble so I moved
them both off.  While the new diet hasn't made much of a dent in the anal
gland issue, they seem to be doing fine as far as their urinary health on
the raw diet and of course they love it.  I just tested Rae Ann's urine and
it was normal PH, no infection, no crystals!  I've been monitoring pH on
Zuzu and it's staying in the good range, no symptoms, no urgency and she's
sleeping through the night so I haven't done a full urinalysis on her yet.
I am pretty amazed!  I just want to mention this as an option, I wouldn't
jump into it unless you had a vet to work with that thought it was a
reasonable option for your dog. I am very squeamish about meat, eat very
little of it myself but there are companies out there that make it easier.
I've been using this one.  rawdeliverymn.com

Lisa, and the basset girls, Rae Ann (10 yrs old) and Zuzu (turning 9 later
this month!)