[Dailydrool] Sprite

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 05:26:57 PST 2020

Oh Sally! I am so sorry to hear that Sprite had to go to the Rainbow Bridge.

 I have always taken my surviving dog to the vet when I had to have another
one put to sleep. Only one dog had a massive negative reaction. It was when
our third basset had to be put to sleep and it was our first basset that
freaked out. I was so surprised because in life, Bubbles was always beating
up Banshee. Bubbles went home and just cried/howled and howled and howled.
This went on for weeks. She wasn't even the only dog left. She had the
companionship of her favorite basset the second one still. It took about a
month. Two years later, we added our first rescue, Elwood. He was so gentle
when he saw both Bubbles and Bismark after they were put to sleep. He was
sad, but okay after Bubbles died. When Bismark died leaving him the only
dog, he started biting his feet. I was rather surprised because he had been
an only dog the first 7 years of his life. This was two years after we
adopted him. I just tried to keep him as busy as possible while I was at
work. I stuffed kongs with his food. I came home at lunch and let him out
and gave him a kong stuffed with pumpkin and unsweetened applesauce mixed
together and frozen. When I got home, I would walk him until he dropped. It
helped a bit, but not much. I looked into rescuing a middle aged female
basset. Rescue was not cooperating. They said that because he weighed 96
pounds when I adopted him that I had to adopt a female that was 65-70 lbs.
I tried to explain that he no longer weighed 96, but only 72 and that he
didn't have a dominate bone in his body. No dice. So, I did what you aren't
supposed to do. I got one from a backyard breeder. They had a male and a
female basset and wanted the 5 kids to experience the birth of a litter. I
took Elwood to see her after work on a Wednesday. He really didn't seem
that exited with her, but he wasn't aggressive. He was just more interested
with the youngest child, an 8 year old boy. The puppy was all over him
trying to get his attention. Hubby was out of town and I worked a 12-8
shift on Thursdays with no ability to go home for dinner. I asked if I
could pick her up on Friday if I paid for her then. No problem. We went
home. Elwood didn't chew his feet again. He seemed to know we were going to
baby and he did an excellent job raising her! So I would suggest looking
for another dog for Nellie. If that is not possible, I would see if you can
send her to daycare (not an option where I lived then) or the dog park, or
set up some play dates to distract her.  Meanwhile, my trio will be
slinging heart healing drool and I will be saying heart healing prayers for
the entire family regardless of number of feet.

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn the Fairy Princess