[Dailydrool] Switching to Grain-free food

Douglas Paul dmp618 at swbell.net
Sat Jan 11 18:43:22 PST 2020

When Stonewall had his spleen removed in 2018, we were advised to put him on grain-free food due to a possibility of a food allergy. The vet recommended several brands which we tried to locate locally here in Kansas (we live 18 miles north of Wichita) and found Nature's Miracle Salmon, Sweet Potato and Pumpkin dry food. Both him and Samantha have been on it since. When I took Samantha in to the vet's last week, I asked about the alerts concerning grain-free food. He said if the dog has a pre-disposition to heart issues, then it is advised not to put them on it. He checked Samantha's heart and since she has no signs of heart murmur or any other abnormalities, he said it was ok to keep her on it. Now if either dog develop heart related symptoms (excessive panting, drooling-good luck with that one-and/or decrease physical activity)then he recommended taking them off grain-free food, but for now, we are still on grain-free. I guess it depends on the individual animal's physical make-up.
Marie Paul