[Dailydrool] Alpha, Avacado and bed time

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 27 10:09:51 PST 2020

Hi, it's Dale,
Wow that story from Val in Hawaii could have been about my house.  My two are both betas ..... having no desire to push anyone around at any time until/unless there is an avocado involved, in which case LOOK out there could be a fight, even a bloody ear (we've had those) .... if one of these boys finds an avocado in the yard (darn neighbors tree) then the other one better LEAVE HIM ALONE and go find his own.  OR ELSE.
Bed time is another strange one ...... there is the preferred spot in between mom and dad with the head on the pillow and there is the less preferred spot at the foot of the bed.  First dog gets the preferred spot.  Now Chomper can climb up and down all by himself but Snoopy needs to be lifted on and off the bed.  So, Snoopy will start asking to be put to bed about 9:30 trying to get that spot but we know he'll complain and demand to be taken down if he hears someone in the kitchen and the vet doesn't want him up there at ALL, let alone unsupervised ..... so we won't boost him until someone goes to bed.  Chomper, on the other hand, is my velcro dog and won't get into bed until I do.  So, what happens is 1 of 2 things:
1)  Greg has gone to bed first, and thus Snoopy is already in "the spot" and so when Chomper goes to get into bed there is much snarling and posturing and so forth in which Chomper is told he has to sleep at the foot of the bed and does everything in his power to try to force his way into the very head of the bed (which rarely works and results in Greg and I snarling right along with Snoopy)
2)  Chomper and I go to bed first and Chomper is settled into "the spot" and then Greg comes to bed and only afterwards Snoopy shows up and I will get up to lift him into bed and Chomper then JUMPS DOWN because I am out of bed and once Snoopy is lifted tries to jump BACK into the spot and hits about 50/50 success rate ..... also with snarling and so on.  Now why he cannot simply lay there and let me boost Snoopy is left as an exercise to the reader.  If Greg is awake I can get him to hold Chompers collar while I boost Snoopy.
Ah ..... bassets.
More later from Dale who thought this was normal, and now, after reading Val's post, is more convinced then ever that it IS, in fact, normal.