[Dailydrool] Who's In Charge?

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 07:46:01 PDT 2020

When Zelda had her litter of puppies we had two intact male dogs-- Mitchell
and Cooper--in the house as well.
It made no difference what the relationships had been before, with those
puppies on the ground Zelda was a raging Mama Bear when it came to keeping
the babies safe and other dogs out of the room.
Unfortunately the room she was in opened (doorless) onto the hall that the
boys had to take to get outside and when they passed by Zelda flung herself
at them intent on death and destruction.
So I put a gate up and dropped a sheet over it so they could not see into
the room and she could not see out. There was peace for about ten seconds
and then Zelda laid on the floor, boosted the sheet up with her nose and
screamed death threats at the boys.
It got so bad that the boys would not enter the hall without a human
escort, and then they ducked their ears and tails and hustled past as fast
as they could.
And then one day, she was done. She walked out of the room, shook herself,
wagged her tail and said "Ok they're yours now. Enjoy!" She still fed them,
cleaned them and would have died protecting them,but with the boys she was
totally relaxed. Amazing.

Ever intrigued by Basset Behavior MomPerson to Merta Lou and doc