[Dailydrool] What is Cytopoint?

Nancy Kay nancykay9 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 12:30:15 PDT 2020

Hi Bev,

Cytopoint is a relatively new drug, came out in the past 3-4 years, I'd
say. It relieves itchiness in dogs by modulating the brain's itch response,
rather than by trying to keep the skin itself from itching. In other words,
the dog still is reactive to whatever allergens are bothering him, but he
doesn't itch. The vet said it was a game-changer for many of her clients,
and that has been 100% true for Charlie, our itchy, fair-haired,
fair-skinned red-and-white. In my opinion, a big part of why it works is
that he no longer licks-licks-licks, scratches, bites, rubs, etc., so his
skin is much less inflamed than it ever was because he's not making it so
much worse with his responses. And we all get to sleep all night!

Each injection costs around $100, and Charlie gets them "as needed", which
has turned out to be every 6-8 months. The vet said in her experience, it
works on about 60% of dogs.

Nancy Kay, currently owned by Charlie and Paige