[Dailydrool] Cytopoint

Nancy Kay nancykay9 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 16:27:51 PDT 2020

YES! Our Charlie has always been itchy, from the time we got him from his breeder at age 3 months. I think his red-and-White skin is just sensitive, as is my red-headed human husband’s skin.

Charlie started on Cytopoint injections about 3 years ago. I had taken him to the vet to ask about Apoquel, and vet suggested Cytopoint instead. Vet said it is life-changing for many dogs, and that has certainly been true for Charlie. She said it works for about 60 % of her patients, and you won’t know until you try it. It doesn’t stop the allergic reactions, but it does modulate the itch response in the brain. For Charlie, that has meant he doesn’t itch, so he doesn’t scratch, so he doesn’t make it all worse with the friction of his licking or scratching.

He gets a shot when he needs one, which has turned out to be every 8-9 months. I just call and get a vet tech appointment  if he’s getting itchy again. It has been a game-changer, for sure, and he’s a happy, calm, non-itchy guy!

Nancy Kay