[Dailydrool] Elizabeth and bassets

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 15 18:08:30 PST 2021

hi Elizabeth,  if you adopt an adult basset from a rescue, you will know how much the adoptee hound weighs ahead of time. Our smallest basset, Mariah, from Daphneyland, weighs about 43 pounds, our larger basset, Mila, weighs 50 pounds, and our pit mix, who kind of insinuated herself ito our household, IPo, weighs 55 lbs but is a little “fluffy”.  I am 72 and manage okay with them, despite a bad back. We have ramps to the yard, to the bed, and to the car. The only lifting is getting resistant dogs into the bathtub for baths—none of the three has the slightest difficulty getting herself OUT of the tub!  generally I have  my husband lift IPo into the tub for me at bath time.
That being said, I imagine a beagle or basset mix would be welcome at most picnics. Michael Moore, a drooler from times gone by used to bring his mastiffs to events wearing artificial basset ears and signs saying “honorary basset”.
if it is true that bassets ATB send the next dog to their former households, our late Harley ATB stayed true to form. He adored female pit bulls, much to my dismay. After Harley’s passing, two female pitpull mixes landed on our doorstep. I was only able to find a new home for one of them and so IPo joined our pack. I am sure it was Harley’s doing.  aloha, Va