[Dailydrool] Cowboy ATB 8/10/2006 ~ 1/22/2021

K. Green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 09:47:20 PST 2021

A post I've always known I'd eventually need to write but would give a
million bucks not to have to. Our sweet Cowboy has gone ahead and left us
behind in a puddle of tears. It's truly the end of an era in our home and
after nearly 15 years we find ourselves without a hound in the house this
morning. Despite an infant and toddler, the house feels eerily quiet.

Cowboy came to us as a 14 week old puppy. We were just 22. We researched
breeds and decided on a basset, and when we saw his cute little face on the
internet we knew he was the guy for us. The runt of the litter, we were
told he was already spoken for.. but a few days later he was available
again, apparently "too old" for the other buyers. Well we were delighted
and arranged to fly him out to San Diego. He arrived on my 23rd birthday
and we were instantly wrapped around his big goofy paw. I quickly found the
Daily Drool, learned so much about his quirks and habits, and became
involved in basset hound rescue. I'll never buy another hound sight unseen
on the internet but gosh dang I'm so glad we did it that one time.

We grew up alongside Cowboy, adopting Rupert when he was about 2 and
literally shaping our entire lives around their happiness. Dog parks,
beaches, camping, hikes, dog-friendly vacation homes - the list goes on, we
took so many adventures with those boys. In 2011 we moved to the bay area
and then to Humboldt in 2015. They moved with us from the bottom of
California all the way to the top.

Cowboy was such a naughty little boy, never knowing any harm and such a
social guy, he'd find any open door or gate and take off for a little
adventure. Thank goodness for his loud and glorious howl because it always
have him away. I'd hear him howling and think, hmm that doesn't sound
right. Sure enough he'd be two or three houses down the block, talking to
another dog or neighbor just as happy as can be.

Cowboy was so gentle when we brought Frankie, our first human child, home.
And he had the patience of a saint as Frankie developed into a crazy little
toddler. I'm so grateful he stuck around to meet our second child, Stevie,
who arrived this past August just a few days after Cowboy's 14th birthday.

He left us last night, peacefully at home being loved on by the two people
who loved him more than we ever knew was possible. I hope he found Rupert
wherever we go next, and that they are having the time of their afterlives
with all the friends who've gone before. James and I will reminisce about
him and miss him for the rest of our lives. He was truly one of a kind.

Cowboy, my little PuppyCow, Cowman, CowCow, CBGB. Rest peacefully my angel
boy.

08/10/2006 ~ 01/22/2021

Drool on,
Kacy