[Dailydrool] Foster to adopt

Donna Lindy dlindy at mac.com
Sun Jan 31 16:03:35 PST 2021

This is for Kara and anyone else looking to adopt a rescue - consider fostering
to adopt.  You have to be approved to foster so you get a home visit for that, too.
Very similar criteria and it will get you a hound sooner in most cases although it
may not be the hound you were looking for.  That was the case for me with my
Maggie.  I didn’t expect to keep her but oh my, what a jewel and had I not fostered
her, I would have never known the joys of how wonderful she is.

My home visit consisted of the rescue person observing how many dog beds
we had, noting the fenced back yard and the doggie door and ramps, leashes
hanging on the front and back door knobs, just in case.  Water bowls everywhere.
We happen to have a room dedicated to bassets so that was a plus. But mostly
what they were looking for was a safe environment for the dogs and the feeling
that the dogs would be cared for and loved.

Kara, I seriously doubt that you would have a problem.  But do think about
fostering to adopt.  You do have some obligations to take the hound to
adoption days, probably every other week or so. You may have a vet visit
or two or if the dog has to be spayed or neutered or needs a dental, etc. and
you may have to do the aftercare for that.  But it’s a great way to find out if the
dog is good fit for you.

Rescues are always needing more foster homes.  Bill and I may look into
doing some fostering after we take some time to do a little traveling and
maybe some work on the house that’s easier done without worrying about
a hound getting out and following his or her nose.

I just wanted to mention it since that’s what we did with both of our
rescue girls - by the way, we were looking for a male both times but
ended up being really blessed with the girls that landed here.  Sometimes
you don’t know what you’re looking for after all!

Donna, drool fueler for just Maggie these days