[Dailydrool] After the Puppy Stops Biting….

Kimlynne Slagel kislagel at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 20:18:32 PDT 2021

My first basset came from the Hawaiian Humane Society.  He was just a
little over 4 months old.  Odell not only was house broken, but he never
chewed shoes, furniture or anything other than a coconut we threw to him.
My first pound rescue was the same.  Both dogs lived to 14+ years, so after
30 years of perfect behavior, I was not ready or even aware that puppies
bite.  That was until we got 3 month old female Hobs.  She chewed
everything that wasn't locked behind latched doors or stored 5 feet above
ground.  To make matters worse, she was born overshot and needed to see a
dentist for corrective surgery.  (We actually felt lucky we had a dentist
at our clinic that could help her.). Well after the surgery and a little
maturity, her chewing subsided and we thought we were in the clear.   Oh,
were we wrong!  Then came her first season.  The vet told us we needed to
let her go through her first heat before spaying.  OMG, that was the worse
4 weeks.  Yes, her season lasted over a month!  Hobs was a terror!  She was
so aggressive, I locked myself in the bathroom to get away from her!

So, will I ever get a puppy again?  Not at this stage of life.  No way.