[Dailydrool] Bugsey by Browyn the Fairy Princess

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 10:33:23 PDT 2021

Hey everyone! I am having a complete and utter meltdown! My Bugsey is very
sick. He doesn't act it. He was still playing with me. It was kind of fun
because I was actually able to knock him down while wrestling.  Then he
decided he wasn't going to eat. I know that is normal for some hounds, but
not my Bugsey. He always eats every last morsal in his bowl. Then he makes
sure Beauford and I didn't leave anything in our bowls. I am not really
sure why he is so obsessive about this. I cannot remember a single time
that we missed eating anything.  Mom tried not to worry because, well,
Bugsey had been outside wrestling with me, going on walkabout a good chunk
of the afternoon, and he was all kissy with his girlfriend, Gemma.

Monday morning,  Bugsey still didn't eat.  Now we were all worried.  Mom
noticed that his gums were yellow when she brushed our teeth.  She was on
the phone to the vetman as soon as they opened.  They said he could see Dr.
Watts at 4:10 or Dr. Sarah at 9:00. We usually see Dr. Watts, but Mom said
she would be there at 9:00. Dr. Sarah took a look at Bugsey and had blood
drawn and in the machine when she came out to tell mom that Bugsey was in
acute liver failure. She told mom Bugsey needed to get on his way to Auburn
University in the next few hours.Dad couldn't get off work and go with an
hour notice,  so he had to stay at work and worry by himself.  Mom packed
us and her in case she had to spend the night. She dropped us off with the
vet,  and headed to Auburn. The important thing to note is I was at the vet
in a run ALL BY MYSELF! That just doesn't happen. I was very upset.

Bugsey got to Auburn and they asked all kinds of stupid questions like was
he up to date on his rabies shot (of course!), does he bite, etc. Well, he
hasn't bitten any humans, but he sure bit me Saturday when I  knocked him
flat. Mom had to deal with a clueless ER vet. She was convinced Bugsey was
full of cancer and probably going to die. His liver enzymes were at lethal
levels.  Mom wasn't so convinced.  He had all kinds of x-rays and an
ultrasound and blood work back when he was diagnosed with his tummy issues.

Now to speed things up. Turning over to the mom, just know I  am a wreck!
Jennifer here. Bugsey is in accute liver failure.  He is at Auburn
University Vet hospital.  ER didn't see any obvious blockages or cancer.
Due to covid, I has to sit in the car in 80 F Temps on a sunny day in a
dark grey car. They did an ultrasound and  didn't really find anything.
They sent me home without being able to say goodbye.  They gave me the
impression that Internal Medicine would run some tests in the morning and I
could pick him up in the afternoon.  Nope! Yesterday they did a lot of
blood work.  His liver is functioning. It is blocked. There is some
damage,  but not too bad. They did another ultrasound and a fine needle
biopsy of the liver and an enlarged lymph node. The lymph node was a bad
sample. The liver just showed inflammation.  His APT should be between
74-136. It was 11000 on Monday. Last night it was down to 4000, but now his
ALT is starting to rise. No one can figure out why he isn't laying on the
bottom of the crate acting like he is going to die. He is up watching
everyone and demanding much attention as he can garner. He is not eating
much. My vet says this is probably a good thing at the moment because it
rests his lido it can heal. They just took him off for exploratory surgery.
They are going to get some liver biopsies,  gall bladder fluid sample and
anything else they happen to see abnormal.  That is all I  know at this
time.

Browyn really is a wreck. Not sure if she has a bladder infection or her pH
went up and she is forming crystals. Today is her 9th Gotcha Day! We love
you little girl! I am just trying to get enough urine for a sample. She is
peeing about 2 drops at a time! Please send as much drool as possible
Bugsey’s way. We are extremely concerned as you might imagine.

Jennifer with Beauford,  Bugsey and Browyn the Fairy Princess