[Dailydrool] Emergency Splenectomy

tcm541 at gmail.com tcm541 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 16:56:20 PDT 2021

My Dexter (not the one who is friends with the whale!) is currently under
the knife. Requesting MASSIVE drool.

I got home from work about an hour and a half ago, and Dexter wasn't getting
around at all. This guy usually runs races around the house when I arrive,
but he shuffled very slowly out to the living room and just dropped. Obvious
distress, shaking, breathing shallow and rapid, gums paler than normal. I
got on the phone immediately with the vet and headed out - it's 15 minutes
away. Good thing Dexter is a little guy - 50 pounds - because I can still
pick him up. Vet took him straight back for x-rays. They say it's an issue
at the spleen, and needs surgery just to figure it all out. I've headed
home.there's nothing I can do there.

----

Update: the phone just rang. The vet said surgery is over, they removed a
lump the size of a grapefruit, and two the size of golf balls, from the
spleen and surrounding area. He's not quite awake yet, but they feel like
he'll pull through fine. They saw no obvious signs of cancer there or on his
liver, so that's a positive sign too.

But please send some drool anyway - he's got a long night ahead, and really
hates being at the vet.

Tim & Reggie (who is pacing and crying, looking for Dexter)