[Dailydrool] Babe 11-6-2014

Mr Shannon R Gerdel bassethoundbutler at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 13:58:06 PDT 2021

7 years ago, I woke up and she was gone. She went to the Bridge in her
sleep. Babe came to me, so afraid, and so scared of everything. She spent
so long hiding under the desk in the office. I'd lay down on the floor to
pet her, and she'd just shake. Violently shake.

She'd been used as a breeding female so many times that her teats just
barely cleaned anything below her. She hated the 1st snow of the year and
she'd blame me for it, everytime. She'd look at me as if to say "What did
you make this happen again?!?!???"

One day she came in the house and jumped on my bed, and went all the way to
the opposite corner. Slowly, over months, she'd sit a little closer to the
door. One day she was laying on the floor at the corner of the bed. This
pattern continued over and over, a little bit closer. Then the day came
that she actually jumped up on the couch.

Once she found herself..  Watch out!! She had NO Problem telling me what to
do. None whatsoever. She'd do the same thing with Arnie and Boomer.

Her favorite visitors where the people from Natrona County Meals On Wheels,
such as Andy McLanahan. Almost all of them brought treats for the Hounds.
She loved my Mom, Patricia Hynes. Not to mention Andrea Trout. You all
helped her to slowly realize that people could be trusted to love her, and
care for her.

I wish I could have taken all of the horrific memories that she had. I got
so much more from her, and learned so much from her. She was very special.
Someday I'll get another girl, I'm just not ready yet.

I'm so grateful to all of you that helped me through that time. I lost
Boomer 7 years ago tomorrow. I'll share his story then.

Shannon R Gerdel
3583 Meadowlark Drive
Casper WY 82604
307-277-7465