[Dailydrool] Member since 2001

Sherrilyn - sherrilyn1 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 4 21:51:16 PST 2022

It's hard to believe that 2001 was 21 years ago!
I joined the list in December of that year after the foster mom told me about the Daily Drool when I adopted Jacques from BROOD.
Then known as Jock, my guy was entirely too refined for his name, so I Frenchified it. In 2003, my job took me to Panama and he
then became known as Panama Jacques. I had a lot more time and creativity then, and I posted fairly often about his exploits.
When we returned to the U.S. in 2005 and attended the Michigan Waddle that year, I was amused by the number of people who
treated him like a rock star. He almost got to be King of the Waddle but in the end we were outbid. Jacques died in 2009.

Then I adopted Isabella from Daphneyland. Drooler Suz Green, who lived in Texas at the time, was kind enough to pick up Isabella
when she adopted Holly Noelle, and she fostered Isabella for several months until I drove through and picked her up en route to
my next assignment in Mexico. A few months later, the vet where I boarded Isabella contacted me about a basset who had been
given up by her family and needed a new home. After a lot of thought, I finally agreed and Lola came to live with us. Lola had been
bounced around between several families before she was 2, and she had a lot of fear aggression. If I hadn't spent the previous 8 years
reading everyone's stories on the Drool, I would have given up on Lola as an incorrigible dog. Even so, there were times during the
first year or two when I wasn't sure that we would both survive. I had the top animal behaviorist in Mexico coming to my house
twice a week to work with Lola. That, along with a very strict schedule and some puppy Prozac, helped calm her down, but not
before my maid and I both got chomped a few times. Lola was a wild child for a long time, and she and Isabella were quite the
tag-team of rascals. They ruined so many lovely items that I had collected in my travels. Isabella died of mouth cancer 3 years
ago. Lola is around 14 now and still trucking. She was diagnosed with kidney disease last month, and I have learned how to
give her sub-q fluids. I've never had a hound live this long, and I know that every day I still have with her is a blessing. The plan
is to keep her as comfortable as possible until she lets me know that she's ready to move on.

I miss the wonderful, clever stories and, like most here, am guilty of not contributing like I used to. The wisdom and the humor
that I've enjoyed over the past 21 years is unparalleled. I've roared with laughter at the antics and sobbed like a baby when
our most beloved icons have passed on to the Bridge.

Sherrilyn