[Dailydrool] another story

don/jan cook drool934 at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 10 14:09:48 PST 2022

I joined the Daily Drool in 2009. We had just moved to Vancouver Island with our first Basset Stuart and our Bloodhound Duncan. I think I searched the internet looking for a site that would help me figure out what was wrong with Stuart. (back issues) I came upon the DD and the rest is history.
 Stuart at about about age 9, developed back problems. In essence, he couldn’t walk well because his back legs gave out on him. My vet said he would need to go to Vancouver for a very expensive operation and it might work, or it might not.
I consulted the wise ones on the DD and they said to try complete bedrest for a couple of months. It was hard on Stuart but we did it. Slowly we let him become more mobile. It was amazing. I would say he was about 75% better and could maneuver about on his own. Unfortunately he then started developing anxiety.
It got worse over the next 2 years in spite of everything from thunder coats to medication, and sadly, at age 11, we sent him to the Bridge to hopefully heal and be free.

I now have two more Bassets. When we introduced the second one (at 6 mo) to our 5 yr. old, the sparks flew. It was the older one who instigated the fights (never drew blood) the younger one sort of said “bring it on!”  I guess they both wanted to be the alpha dog. It happened at least once or twice a day. I had to do something. I decided to try cbd drops in the older ones food. It took almost two months but it seemed to calm the older one down a bit and now they are buddies. No more fighting!

As everyone says, facebook is nice because it has photos, but it is lovely to read everyones stories on the DD.

Jan and the hounds.