[Dailydrool] When I joined

Nancy bassetwoofr at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 8 17:15:48 PST 2022

I think it was 1997. We had bought Shorty from an ad in the paper for $25.00.
I saw the ad and mentioned it to Gary. He said let’s go look.  And Shorty came home with us.
He was a typical Basset puppy and about drove me nuts.  I found the Drool while looking for help with him.
He grew up to be a wonderful dog.  We waddled in Michigan,New Jersey, and Illinois. He won a few trick contests.
He did therapy dog visits at our local hospital and nursing homes. That is the most rewarding thing that I have ever done.

He was joined by Roddy. Gretchen, who’s last name I forget, mentioned on the Drool about a blind Basset who needed a home. I mentioned him to Gary, about a hundred times, before he said let’s go look.  And Roddy came home.  He accompanied Shorty on our nursing home visits. Most people did not even notice that he was blind. Then he developed glaucoma and had both eyes removed.  People noticed then.

We got involved in Ohio Basset Rescue and fostered…and failed…a number of times.
The most memorable foster was Biting Sadie. She was found in a corn field. She came as a foster. She bit me the first time I touched her nails.  That pretty much made her un adoptable, so she stayed here. She adored Gary and he adored her.  She tolerated me. When Gary died, she mourned terribly.  She developed cancer, had surgery and died pretty quickly.  When I took her to be put down, a sea gull pooped on my car as I was leaving the parking lot. This was in a town without any lakes or water around it.  I am pretty sure is was Sadie, having the last word.

I now have Grover, a senior who came to me thru rescue when his owner could no longer care for him.  And I have Hobbs. He is a 5 y o male who was being abused and bit a number of people. He has been here since August and has not bitten me.

I also have 3 Clumber Spaniels and am involved in Clumber Rescue.
And a Boxer and a JRT that I inherited from a friend who died.

Nancy and the BBC