[Dailydrool] Dog Trickery

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 23:56:18 PST 2022

Zelda used to go outside and squat and come in and get a treat. It was a
couple of years before we tumbled to the fact that she wasn't urinating at
all, just squatting and then came in to get her treat. Merta Lou doesn't do
that, but she will talk Doc into going out and then grab whatever spot he
had for herself. Sometimes when I know for sure that is what she has done
(he will come get me, all excited and waggy and doing a little dance and I
am not sure what she has promised him this time-- "I'll play with you" or
"I found a big stick you can have" or "I bet the squirrels are in the yard"
but he falls for it every time.) I will make her go outside and she slinks
out the door, muttering.
Of all the Bassets we have had the girls are the only ones who practiced
the art of trickery  so much or so well. Merta Lou will begin telling us it
is feeding time a half hour ahead, hoping we will take her word for it.  Is
this just my girls, or is it really a characteristic?

MomPerson to Doc and ML